In my opinion, the worst place in the world to spend New Year’s Eve is New York City. The city is full of tourists, entry fee for clubs is out of control and getting a taxi is impossible. Most New Yorkers “get outta dodge” for the holiday. My two friends, (Erica aka @pererica and Sarah D aka #sdlovesindians) and I (SKW aka @sarahkarpward) knew we had to get out of the city but where to go, oh where to go. So I felt the need to step up to the plate and find us a destination. I came up with the perfect destination with all we wanted- it had sun, beach and warm weather…. Miami! Sadly ticket prices were through the roof so I was like oh well, lets just go to Montreal. I contacted my friends up there the most personal way I could think of which was sending out a big Facebook mass message to all those I knew up there and surprisingly, they responded and some even seemed excited that we wanted to come up. Through persistence, pathetic IM’s to Leslie and puppy dog eyes via Facebook chat, Mr. Andrew “DJ F.U.N.K” Ward kindly offered us his place to stay at. Does he now regret this decision? Yes. Do I owe him big time for dealing with crazies for the weekend? Oh ya. Are some of the coolest people you meet at Montreal rooftop parties at 5am and become friends after being tagged in a Facebook picture and realizing you have the same last name? Yes.
We learned 13 very important things while we were up there.
1. Giving someone a ride up you only know through Twitter and Facebook is FUN and totally normal.
2. Having a bracelet for one NYE party can often allow you to finagle your way into another party for free.
3. If you ask someone to take a picture with your blackberry you may be asked (or begged in some cases) for your BBM pin.
4. If show up to a party in a bright green spandex outfit that covers your entire body you can not only get in to the party for free, you can convince people to give you their alcohol and girls will dance around you and want to hang and take pictures with you.
5. Eye masks do not hide drunkeness.
6. You can never take too many pictures of your DJ friends.
7. Finger mustaches often look like your trying to brush someones teeth.
8. Poutine is the best for a hangover but bad service and burnt food is the worst for a hangover.
9. No matter what country you’re in, everyone loves Indians! (especially #sdlovesindians)
10. Chair dancing is not appreciated in MTL like it is in NYC.
11. Sometimes you meet the best people ever on Twitter. Oh heyyyy @niceaxxe
12. Jameson is delicious and deadly and not the best idea to over indulge on the night before a long drive in a snowstorm.
13. Duty Free at the US-CA border is heaven on Earth.